Hadoop >> mail # general >> LimitedPrivate and HBase

Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
No offense taken.

Sanjay and I chatted offline. We disagree on whether Private should be
scoped to the whole project (Hadoop), or to subprojects (Common, HDFS,
MapReduce). The intent of HADOOP-5073 was for the latter, but I'm not
convinced it buys us anything really, which is why I've been arguing
for the former. However, what we have at the moment in the javadoc is
misleading, so that at least needs clearing up via HADOOP-7391. Thanks
for doing this Sanjay.

I do think (and I think Sanjay agrees with me here) we should move
away from LimitedPrivate access for external projects by creating
public APIs that we are prepared to support (note again that they may
be Evolving or even Unstable) - either by marking existing
(Limited)Private APIs as public, or by creating a new API. We should
do this for the 6 cases I highlighted earlier in the thread.

Cheers,
Tom