HBase >> mail # dev >> All ok w/ thrift2 going away in trunk/0.95?

+
Stack 2013-04-24, 19:53
Re: All ok w/ thrift2 going away in trunk/0.95?
I am -1 to remove, took a long time to get it in there and should deprecate Thrift v1 - or else we are in the same mess as mapred and mapreduce is. We once replaced the entire client API and now we can't do this for Thrift?

I am happy to work on v2 and fix or maintain it. It should be the way forward methinks.

Lars

On Apr 24, 2013, at 21:53, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thrift2 was supposed to be the future -- an API like the native java API --
> but it never got the support needed to make it a superset of thrift1.
> Meantime folks are running thrift1 in production and patching it as they
> need extra calls and fixes.
>
> While we have two thrifts, thrift1 and thrift2, the latter of which we are
> afraid to recommend because we do not know of any prod install, we sew
> confusion ("Which should I use?",  "Doc only talks about 'thrift'?").
>
> HBASE-8184 is a patch to remove thrift2 until it gets a sponsor who can
> move it beyond thrift1 .  I already have a +1 to remove.  Will let the
> issue stew a day or two in case objection to thrift2 going away.
>
> St.Ack
+
Stack 2013-04-25, 05:55
+