What's the rationale for not allowing it at all? Given that it's been in
the spec so long I'm hesitant to remove it.

I can't think of a time that we did a breaking change to the spec. Even if
we check all of our implementations, there's no way to know if someone else
has already created an implementation that allows the promotion since it's
in the spec.