Flume >> mail # user >> Syslog Infrastructure with Flume

Re: Syslog Infrastructure with Flume
Since you ask...

In our environment our primary concern is audit logs - have have to audit banking transactions as well as changes administrators make. We have a legacy system that needed to be integrated that had records in a form different than what we want stored. We also need to allow administrators to view events as close to real time as possible. Plus we have to aggregate data across 2 data centers. Although we are currently not including web server access logs we plan to integrate them in over time.  We also have requirements from our security team to pass events for their use to ArcSight.

1. We have a "log extractor" that receives legacy events as they occur and converts them into our new format and passes them to Flume. All new applications use the Log4j 2 Flume Appender to get data to Flume.
2. Flume passes the data to ArcSight for our security team's use.
3. We wrote a Flume to Cassandra Sink.
4. We wrote our own REST query services to retrieve the data from Cassandra.
5. Since we are using DataStax Enterprise version of Cassandra we have also set up "Analytic" nodes that run Hadoop on top of Cassandra. This allows the data to be accessed via normal Hadoop tools for data analytics.
6. We have written our own reporting UI component in our Administrative Platform to allow administrators to view activities in real time or to schedule background data collection so users can post process the data on their own.

We do not have anything to allow an admin to "tail" the log but it wouldn't be hard at all to write an application to accept Flume events via Avro and display the last "n" events as they arrive.

One thing I should point out. We format our events in accordance with RFC 5424 and store that in the Flume event body. We then store all our individual pieces of audit event data in Flume headers fields.  The RFC 5424 message is what we send to ArcSight. The event fields and the compressed body are all stored in individual columns in Cassandra.

Ralph