May be you can help clear the confusion for me. From the contribution
guidelines you cited, it looks like it is already the contributor's
responsibility to ensure all JIRA fields are correct and update them when
the PR is merged.

But in your original email you cited apex-malhar PR 669 as an example where
the committer overlooked this responsibility. What am I missing?