I still have a concern that introducing an assumption how populateDAG is
used for anything else other than to construct an application DAG. The
only use case provided does not well justifies changing primary API
(even though it is changed without braking semantic version). I would
prefer an alternate solution, so -0.5.

Thank you,

Vlad