I cited both, in my first email I cited steps for a committer as it is a
committer that verifies that a contribution meets a community
guidelines. In reply back to Sanjay proposal, I cited part of the
contribution guideline.

IMO, it is not that the wording around JIRA or any other part of the
contribution guidelines has an ambiguity, both clearly state that JIRA
must be updated by a contributor and if that was not done, it is a
committer responsibility to enforce the update before a PR is merged.

Thank you,

Vlad