MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Help on submitting a patch for an unassigned bug

Help on submitting a patch for an unassigned bug
Hello ,

I recently started looking into the bugs in issues.appache.org/jira related
to (HADOOP/MAP REDUCE/HDFS) which have not be assigned to anyone and the
status as unresolved. My intention is to fix those bugs , can you please
let me know if I can assign those bugs to myself and submit a patch with
unit test case or do I have to send a mail to any comitter asking for
approval for assigning the bug to myself .

Could somebody help me out. If somebody can elaborate a little on the
process it would be helpful, I have read the 'How to contribute to Hadoop'
on Wiki but couldn't find related to assigning the bug or may be I missed
out somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Niranjan