Hive >> mail # user >> Hive sample test

Re: Hive sample test
Unfortunately, it will still go through the whole thing, then just limit
the output. However, there's a flag that I think only works in more recent
Hive releases:

set hive.limit.optimize.enable=true

This is supposed to apply limiting earlier in the data stream, so it will
give different results that limiting just the output.

Like Chuck said, you might consider sampling, but unless your table is
organized into buckets, you'll at least scan the whole table, but maybe not
do all computation over it ??

Also, if you have a small sample data set:

set hive.exec.mode.local.auto=true

will cause Hive to bypass the Job and Task Trackers, calling APIs directly,
when it can do the whole thing in a single process. Not "lightning fast",
but faster.

dean

--
*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*