MapReduce >> mail # user >> libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Re: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Pastrana, Rodrigo (RIS-BCT)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So apparently the v2.2-beta apache Hadoop 2.2 tar file no longer contains
> 64bit version of libhdfs as reported here:
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9911).
>
> Does anybody know if there are any plans to include the 64bit libs in the
> distribution? Any ideas where to search for future packaging plans? Thanks.

For packaging needs you can either pick Bigtop distribution for your
favorite Linux system, or pick the distro of one of the vendors. That
will have all the native libraries built *exactly* for the OS you have.

The reason native bits are hard to manage as part of Hadoop release
process is that you actually would have to build them on a the lowest
common denominator of Linux OSes (CentOS 5 perhaps) to have
a passing chance of being compatible. And even then I've seen
things like libssl break compatibility (which is not surprising since
at this point there are deployment of Hadoop on Linux distros
that are more than 7 years apart).

Thanks,
Roman.