HBase >> mail # dev >> Identifying which configurations are experimental

Re: Identifying which configurations are experimental
With these settings, I think the plan is to get the patches in, mark them
experimental for some time, and once they are baked remove the experimental
label. Given that development model, it will be not intuitive to have
settings prefixed. If any user was using them in their POC, then they have
to be aware of that the setting changed once we declare that it is good to
go, etc.

Ideally, we should either (1) remove the feature from the code base because
it is not getting any attention, and nobody is using it (offheap cache I am
looking at you), or (2) fix them to make it more stable. Given that we are
not living in the ideal world, I would still suggest that on a
feature-by-feature basis, we should decide 1 or 2, and if there is some
interest in working on the patch, document that feature is experimental in
book + hbase-default.xml, code etc and keep the code. Otherwise nuke them.

Just my 2 cents.