Filters (and more generally, iterators) are executed on the server. There
is an option to run them client side. See
http://accumulo.apache.org/1.4/apidocs/org/apache/accumulo/core/client/ClientSideIteratorScanner.html

Using fetchColumnFamily will return only keys that have specific column
family values, not rows.

If I have a few keys in a table:

row1 family1: qualifier1
row1 family2: qualifier2
row2 family1: qualifier1

Let's say I call `scanner.fetchColumnFamily("family1")`. My scanner will
return:

row1 family1: qualifier1
row2 family1: qualifier1

Now let's say I want to do a scan, but call
`scanner.fetchColumnFamily("family2")`. My scanner will return:

row1 family2: qualifier2

If you want whole rows that contain specific column families, then I
believe you'd have to write a custom iterator using the RowFilter
http://accumulo.apache.org/1.4/apidocs/org/apache/accumulo/core/iterators/user/RowFilter.html