walog provides data loss protection in a specific set of circumstances.
Most of our deployments are under a different set of circumstances.
Accumulo is only one part of our systems and we have other
mechanisms for protecting against the loss of data.
We find the walog actually becomes a bottleneck in certain circumstances
and so turning it off increases the overall reliability of our system.