I think it's reasonable to measure from the start of a for/while loop over
the Scanner. Such as:

```
// .. my initialization code
scanner.setRange(someRange)
Stopwatch timer = Stopwatch.createStarted();
for(Entry<Key, Value> e: scanner) {
  // my logic
}
timer.stop();
```
I've personally done this when measuring query performance and usually
gives a good estimate of what's going on, especially if the network has
low, constant latency.