Cool. I know it's one of those hard things to do, but if we can be
somewhat sure it was just server failure, that's good. I'd hate to write
a workaround and find it was just because I wrote some bad code :P

Maybe something in the GC logic which presently does the closing of the
WALs would be easiest? Should be pretty easy to build a util from the
core logic too.

LMK if/how I can help.