On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Mike Drob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

That is perfectly fine advice in my view. In stable, long-life products,
major versions are maintained for a _long_ time. Applications rarely move
to new major versions. (I'm using Apache Lucene as a point of comparison.)
So, once an application goes into production on x.y.0, its maintainers
expect that there will be bug fixes and compatible improvements for for
_years_. Moving to a new major version is a big deal, and no one is going
to do it routinely or lightly. Many applications will reach the end of
their own EOL first. There are people still using Apache Lucene 3.x, and
the community is still prepared to make security fixes. The community will
be making functional improvements to 4.x for a very long time, even as
they/we are on the verge of shipping 5.0.