Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Hadoop SSO/Token Server Components

RE: [DISCUSS] Hadoop SSO/Token Server Components
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the update. Good to see that with this update we are now aligned on most points.

 I have also updated our TokenAuth design in HADOOP-9392. The new revision incorporates feedback and suggestions in related discussion with the community, particularly from Microsoft and others attending the Security design lounge session at the Hadoop summit. Summary of the changes:
1.    Revised the approach to now use two tokens, Identity Token plus Access Token, particularly considering our authorization framework and compatibility with HSSO;
2.    Introduced Authorization Server (AS) from our authorization framework into the flow that issues access tokens for clients with identity tokens to access services;
3.    Refined proxy access token and the proxy/impersonation flow;
4.    Refined the browser web SSO flow regarding access to Hadoop web services;
5.    Added Hadoop RPC access flow regarding CLI clients accessing Hadoop services via RPC/SASL;
6.    Added client authentication integration flow to illustrate how desktop logins can be integrated into the authentication process to TAS to exchange identity token;
7.    Introduced fine grained access control flow from authorization framework, I have put it in appendices section for the reference;
8.    Added a detailed flow to illustrate Hadoop Simple authentication over TokenAuth, in the appendices section;
9.    Added secured task launcher in appendices as possible solutions for Windows platform;
10.    Removed low level contents, and not so relevant parts into appendices section from the main body.

As we all think about how to layer HSSO on TAS in TokenAuth framework, please take some time to look at the doc and then let's discuss the gaps we might have. I would like to discuss these gaps with focus on the implementations details so we are all moving towards getting code done. Let's continue this part of the discussion in HADOOP-9392 to allow for better tracking on the JIRA itself. For discussions related to Centralized SSO server, suggest we continue to use HADOOP-9533 to consolidate all discussion related to that JIRA. That way we don't need extra umbrella JIRAs.

I agree we should speed up these discussions, agree on some of the implementation specifics so both us can get moving on the code while not stepping on each other in our work.

Look forward to your comments and comments from others in the community. Thanks.

Regards,
Kai