Hadoop >> mail # user >> Sync and Data Replication

Sync and Data Replication
I am wondering the role of sync in replication of data to other nodes. Say
client writes a line to a file in Hadoop, at this point file handle is open
and sync has not been called. In this scenario is data also replicated as
defined by the replication factor to other nodes as well? I am wondering if
at this point if crash occurs do I have data in other nodes?