Hadoop >> mail # user >> Learning about different distributions of Hadoop

+
Harit Himanshu 2012-08-08, 15:53
+
Michael Segel 2012-08-08, 16:10
Re: Learning about different distributions of Hadoop
That's a bit like asking people what the best Linux Distro is..they all serve (mostly) the same function, and you're likely to start a religious war by stating their differences.

The main point running through all the different flavors of Hadoop is that they are all Hadoop. The differences only come from the chosen patch sets, which are all open-sourced anyway. At least in theory, you could rebuild Cloudera/Hortonworks/whatever just by applying the right sequences of patch sets to core Hadoop.

The real question is: Are you happy with what you are currently using? If so, why worry about it? If not, why are you unhappy? Answering that question is likely to give you the guidance you would like in terms of what flavor you wish to pick.

Scott

On Aug 8, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Michael Segel wrote:

> Now that's a loaded question.
>
> I'm going to plead the 5th because no matter how I answer it, I will probably piss someone off. ;-P
> They all have their own respective strengths and weaknesses.
> (Like that's stopped me before. ;-)
>
> -Mike
>
> On Aug 8, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Harit Himanshu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a very basic question - There are various flavors of hadoop by Apache, Cloudera, MapR, HortonWorks(may be more I am not aware of).
>> I would like to learn what are the differences between these distributions and how do I know which distribution is best for me?
>> I am current using Apache Hadoop
>>
>> Thank you
>> + Harit

+