HBase >> mail # user >> Region hot spotting

+
Ajay Bhosle 2012-11-21, 07:19
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2012-11-21, 08:19
+
Mohammad Tariq 2012-11-21, 08:29
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2012-11-21, 08:44
+
Ajay Bhosle 2012-11-21, 11:46
+
Mohammad Tariq 2012-11-21, 17:43
Re: Region hot spotting
Salting is not a good idea and I don't know why people suggest it.

Case in point.... you want to fetch a single row/record back. Because the salt is arbitrary, you will need to send N number of get()s one for each salt value.
Doing a simple one way hash of the data, even appending the data, would be a better idea. Note that if you are worried about key length, you can do the hash and take the first N bytes and then append the row to it. It should give you enough of a spread of hash values that you don't have to worry about hotspots.

HTH

-Mike

+
Ajay Bhosle 2012-11-22, 13:28