Hadoop, mail # user - Inserting many small files into HBase

Inserting many small files into HBase
edward choi 2011-03-21, 01:39
Hi,

I'm planning to crawl thousands of news rss feeds via MapReduce, and save
each news article into HBase directly.

My concern is that Hadoop does not work well with a large number of
small-size files,

and if I insert every single news article (which is small-size apparently)
into HBase, (without separately storing it into HDFS)

I might end up with millions of files that are only several kilobytes in
size.

Or does HBase somehow automatically append each news article into a single
file, so that it would have only a few files of large-size?

Ed