Hive, mail # user - Problem replacing existing Hive file with modified copy

Problem replacing existing Hive file with modified copy
Connell, Chuck 2012-07-25, 15:21
I created a Hive table that consists of two files, names1.txt and names2.txt. The table works correctly and answers all queries etc.

I want to REPLACE names2.txt with a modified version. I copied the new version of names2.txt to the /tmp/input folder within HDFS. Then I tried the command:

hive -e "load data inpath '/tmp/input/names2.txt' into table names"

I get an error: "Failed with exception null. Exception error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask"

Is this just a bug in this version (hadoop-hive-0.7.1+42.43-2.noarch, via CDH3 distro)?

Is my syntax correct to update a file in Hive?

TIA,
Chuck Connell
Nuance R&D Data Team
Burlington, MA