Hadoop, mail # general - Apache Hadoop Hackathons: 5/11 and 5/18 in SF and Palo Alto

Apache Hadoop Hackathons: 5/11 and 5/18 in SF and Palo Alto
Jeff Hammerbacher 2011-05-06, 19:03
Hey,

The discussion this week about the 0.20.203.0 release has done a great job
of highlighting some issues in our development process; it's also done a
great job of lifting our mailing list activity metrics. After reading
through the various threads, it's clear that everyone agrees on two things:

1) We'd like to get the work done in the 0.20.x branches into trunk
2) We'd like to start releasing off of trunk again

To that end, a few folks from Yahoo!, Cloudera, StumbleUpon, and Facebook
would like to put together a series of Hackathons to 1) burn down the 13
(only 13!) remaining blockers for the 0.22 release and 2) forward-port the
work done in the 0.20.x branches into trunk.

Cloudera will be hosting Hackathons from 10 am to 6 pm in both our Palo Alto
and San Francisco offices next Wednesday, 5/11, and the following Wednesday,
5/18, to ensure both of these tasks get completed in short order. PMC
members Todd Lipcon and Tom White will lead the SF group and PMC members Eli
Collins and Patrick Hunt will lead the Palo Alto group.

Whether you're a long-time contributor or don't have a patch to your name,
now is a great time to get involved in Apache Hadoop development. Forward
porting patches is a lot easier than writing them from scratch, and you'll
have mentors present to help guide you through the patch testing and
submission process.

To sign up for the 5/11 Hackathon in either SF or PA, head over to
http://hadoophackathon.eventbrite.com.

As a reminder, the SF HUG will be held on 5/11 at 6 pm in the Cloudera SF
offices: http://www.meetup.com/hadoopsf/events/17354462/. If you can't make
it on 5/11, we'll send out a link next week for the 5/18 event.

Looking forward to getting the release train moving again!

Regards,
Jeff

p.s. if you'd like to participate remotely, email me directly and I'll see
about how we can teleconference you into the event.