HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: HDFS-Fuse/virtual machine images

+
Bastian Lorenz 2010-05-11, 14:42

On May 11, 2010, at 7:42 AM, Bastian Lorenz wrote:
> i have set up an hdfs cluster with three nodes(one master, two
> datanodes). Everything works fine…so far! Now i want to mount my hdfs
> with Fuse. This works also. The mountpoint is /export/hdfs. I want to
> store qcow2 files in hdfs an boot from an iso which is also stored in
> hdfs.

I expect performance to be similar to that of glaciers moving across a continent.  Last I heard, FUSE-HDFS was a 60% performance hit over normal HDFS.

> Why i can´t store qcow2 files in hdfs? Got somebody an idea?

HDFS is not a POSIX file system, even when wrapped in FUSE.  Operations such as truncate will NOT work:

> truncate /vm1/vm10.qcow2 12884901888
>
>   unique: 22, error: -95 (Operation not supported), outsize: 16
+
Eli Collins 2010-05-15, 03:47