Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?

+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-14, 22:11
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-14, 22:41
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2011-11-14, 22:47
+
Todd Papaioannou 2011-11-14, 22:47
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-11-14, 22:44
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2011-11-14, 22:46
Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
+1 on graduating .205 as 1.0. It is a very mature and widely used
version of Hadoop and really has a significant bang for a buck!

It seems that making 0.22 to be 2.0 has a lot of sense because its coming
release carries a number of significant changes qualifying it to be a major
release. .23 seems to be a good candidate for 3.0 for exactly the same reasons
with MR2 framework and all.

Seems like a great time for the move!
  Cos

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 02:11PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Apache Hadoop has come a long way since our humble beginnings. As a
> community we've made significant progress, even in 2011 - we've had 3
> releases off the branch-0.20-security (0.20.205 being the latest) and we
> just released 0.23.0 last week, our first major release off trunk in a
> while.
>
> With hadoop-0.20.205 we finally have an Apache release with both security
> and HBase support, both critical for the growing ecosystem.
>
> With that, I think it's time to call it as hadoop-1.0. The 1.0 moniker has
> something we've wanted for a while and I think it's time for us to just ship
> it. Linus did something similar with GNU/Linux 3.0.
>
> Yes, we could add more features or better it along many dimensions (ala
> hadoop-0.23), but right now we have a pretty decent piece of software i.e.
> the feature set in hadoop-0.20.205 is compelling and widely used. We could
> call hadoop-0.23 (or 0.22) as 2.0 etc. I do think we, as a community, can
> support compatibility in the hadoop-1.x series, which is the essential
> ingredient. This isn't a brand new idea, Doug suggested this a long while
> ago.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> thanks,
> Arun