Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Abandon mrunit MapReduce contrib

Re: [VOTE] Abandon mrunit MapReduce contrib
The MRUnit community is a specific subset of the Hadoop community: Engineers
writing Java code running on Hadoop. The Hadoop community also includes
IT/ops staff who maintain Hadoop clusters, data scientists who use tools
such as Pig & Hive, as well as those written by the aforementioned
engineers, etc.

The Hadoop project has long recognized that tools aimed at a specific subset
of the Hadoop community, with separate release cycles, can more successfully
reach their aims by splitting into incubator projects. Hive, Pig, and HBase,
for example, have all gone this path.

A "current" version of MRUnit would need to compile against multiple
versions of Hadoop itself. This is not possible if it is in the same source
tree as Hadoop.

- Aaron