HDFS, mail # dev - Deprecate hftp / hsftp

Deprecate hftp / hsftp
Haohui Mai 2013-11-26, 20:50
Hi,

Recently I've been focusing on fixing hftp / hsftp / webhdfs / swebhdfs in
various set ups. Now we have reached the state that all the above file
systems can work in both secure and insecure clusters, and transfer data
through both http and https.

Taking a step back, these file systems are very similar, and I'm wondering
whether it is a good time to deprecate hftp and hsftp in Hadoop right now.

The main reason is that hftp / hsftp only provides a strict subset of
functionalities that webhdfs / swebhdfs offer. Notably, webhdfs / swebhdfs
support writes and HA which hftp / hsftp do not support. It's more natural
to move forward with webhdfs / swebhdfs, keeping both hftp / hsftp around
seems introducing more work.

Another reason is that webhdfs has been supported since Hadoop 1, thus
getting rid of hftp / hsftp does not seem removing any features, even the
users are trying to migrate from Hadoop 1 to Hadoop 2.
Your ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Haohui

--