Avro >> mail # user >> Version Naming Convention / Namespaces

+
ellisdp 2013-07-23, 09:24
Re: Version Naming Convention / Namespaces
The "." is a namespace separator by design:
http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html#Names

The best way of handling versioning in Avro is not to change the name of
your records at all, and just rely on schema evolution (
http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html#Schema+Resolution). That
allows you to add or remove fields, and change field types, within certain
limitations to ensure compatibility. In fact, you make life harder for
yourself if you change names, because then you have to maintain aliases to
the old names.

Martin