Accumulo, mail # dev - Q: re Accumulo Commit Policy? (was Re: Setting charset in getBytes())

Q: re Accumulo Commit Policy? (was Re: Setting charset in getBytes())
Drew Farris 2012-10-31, 16:09
Related to the discussion of the getBytes() issue, I had a question about
commit policy in the Accumulo project.

Has there been any discussion regarding commit policy in general in the
Accumulo project? Are there certain times where committing an approach when
it is under discussion is acceptable (e.g; on non-releases branches) and
other cases (e.g close to code freezes) where it is not?

In other Apache projects I've worked on, when there is active discussion of
a change or feature on the list, the developers would refrain from
committing said change until consensus was reached.In order to exchange and
review proposed changes, patches would be attached to the JIRA issue as
patches generated with svn diff / git diff, so that those participating in
the discussion could review. In cases where proposed changes could not
effectively be communicated via patches, branches would be created, but
these were typically rare.

I haven't been closely following how things have worked with Accumulo, but
I did notice that the getBytes() stuff had been checked in. Just wondering
if this is the norm, or how things should work.

Thanks,

Drew
+
Adam Fuchs 2012-10-31, 16:18