Pig, mail # dev - Next Pig release proposal

RE: Next Pig release proposal
Santhosh Srinivasan 2011-10-25, 07:52
Fair enough. Now its boiling down to ...

Which release should be promoted to 1.0?
What are the stability related concerns/bugs that need to be addressed before we promote the last release to 1.0?

Santhosh

-----Original Message-----
From: Dmitriy Ryaboy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Next Pig release proposal

Thanks Santhosh, you understood my meaning precisely.

I believe that unlike other releases, 1.0 is "special" in people's
minds, it's a "we are ready" label. I don't think we should promote
trunk, even in gloriously stable future, to 1.0, for the same reason I
don't think we should promote the current trunk to 1.0 (but would be
ok with, say, promoting 9.2...) -- our 1.0 release should be stable,
and trunk is not by nature, even when we make a release off it. I
would prefer we not tie our hands in search of stability and avoid
adding new features / refactors / etc in trunk because it's got the
1.0 label hanging over it. We already have a history of policing what
goes into dot-dot releases (8.1, 9.1), and I think those have been
working well for creating more stable releases while we can do more
radical stuff on trunk.