Zookeeper, mail # dev - Roadmap?

Re: Roadmap?
Thomas Koch 2012-01-04, 19:42
Patrick Hunt:
> It's fine to discuss the roadmap on list. We should only be making
> decisions on list regardless. Last I heard from Mahadev he was
> coordinating the meetup for sometime this month or early next.

So just for the record, I don't expect many to agree:

It's my understanding that ZooKeepers first duty is reliability. The last
major release (3.4.0) however was immediately followed by two bugfix releases
and jira already shows another 5 blockers and 27 critical bugs.

Maybe it would be a good idea now to make robustness and stability the first
priority and refuse any new features for the next time.

As for Patrick's idea of scalability I think that there is a lot of potential
to make ZK scale even more. I've already outlined the idea of an immutable
datatree and the possibility to handle read requests in parallel, independent
from the write queue. The recently discussed "Disruptor" system[1] is also
worth a look for inspiration. But it would be hazardous if not impossible to
explore any such path without cleaning up the code first.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/disruptor

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro