MapReduce >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha

+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-25, 03:48
+
Sangjin Lee 2013-05-25, 17:01
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-30, 15:43
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-30, 17:57
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-30, 18:52
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-30, 22:11
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-30, 22:52
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2013-05-30, 23:08
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-30, 23:16
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-30, 17:58
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-30, 20:48
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-30, 21:39
Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.0.4.1-alpha
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There's no misunderstanding Chris - this release is to unblock downstream.
>
> As for your question: I don't have a crystal ball; I wish though. I think the
> answer depends on will be there more blocking bugs found in the later releases
> of Bigtop or other downstream components.
> This is bugfix release and, I guess, if there are more bugs found in the
> future - more releases would have to be cut. Isn't this is why the software is
> being released?

Sure, but they're all backports from the release currently marked for
2.0.5. Either (a) these are really blocker bugs and we should roll a
patch release or (b) some bleeding-edge work needs to work around this
while branch-2 is released in the next few weeks. If it's not severe
enough to justify disrupting the versioning of snapshot maven
artifacts in branch-2, then we're clearly not in case (a).

I thought this was the result of extensive testing, and 2.0.4.1 was a
release to enable additional integration before 2.0.5. If we plan to
roll more releases as a subset of the bug fixes committed to branch-2
then just call it 2.0.5. Please make sure it- and any future,
intermediate release- is worth the disruption.

> Now, the -1: I am not clear about the justification. What exactly we expect to
> "work out"?

It's become fashionable to close threads and count votes in the middle
of the discussion. I changed my vote instead of trusting you. -C

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 01:48PM, Chris Douglas wrote:
>> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Why not include MAPREDUCE-4211 as well rather than create one release per patch?
>>
>> From Cos's description, it sounded like these were backports of fixes
>> to help Sqoop2 and fix some build issues. If it's not just to fixup
>> leftover bugs in 2.0.4 *once* so downstream projects can integrate
>> against 2.0.4.1, and this a release series, then I've completely
>> misunderstood the purpose.
>>
>> Cos, are you planning 2.0.4.2?
>>
>> > Also, this is the first time we are seeing a four-numbered scheme in Hadoop. Why not call this 2.0.5-alpha?
>>
>> Good point. Since it contains only backports from branch-2, it would
>> make sense for it to be an intermediate release.
>>
>> I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm changing my vote to -1 while we
>> work this out. -C

+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-30, 22:25
+