HBase >> mail # user >> Hbase filter-SubstringComparator vs full text search indexing

+
Shengjie Min 2012-09-10, 14:24
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2012-09-10, 17:41
Re: Hbase filter-SubstringComparator vs full text search indexing
Two cents below...

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Shengjie Min <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In my case, I have all the log events stored in HDFS/hbase in this format:
>
> timestamp | priority | category | message body
>
> Given I have only 4 fields here, that limits my queries to only against
> these four. I am thinking about more advanced search like full text search
> the message body. well, mainly substring query against message body.
>
>    1.
>
>    Has anybody tried to use Hbase SubstringComparator? How does it perform,
>    with reasonable huge amount of data, can it still provide us the real
> time
>    response capability?

Probably not if "huge" is sufficiently large.  Since HBase only stores data
indexed by the primary row key, any other criteria search requires a full
scan of all data.
>    2.
>
>    In my case, does it make more sene to use a proper full text search
>    engine(lucene/solr/elasticsearch) to index the message body, does that
>    sound like a better idea?

Often yes.  For big data especially, this is where ElasticSearch accels.