Hive >> mail # user >> apache can't access hive

apache can't access hive
I have created a php-backed dynamic website which pulls data from hive (via exec) and presents the results through a web interface.  This was working fine...then I upgraded to CDH4 and now apache can't access hive anymore.  Hive commands work fine on the command line as a "real" user, but not through the web as apache.  Curiously, if I run hive as "sudo -u apache", it works.  It just doesn't work from php.  Remember, I had this all working a few weeks ago, I know the basic approach works.  It just that some aspect of the CDH4 upgrade has changed something, and I'm not sure what it could be.  The metastore_db directory's permissions are good to go (apache has read/write access to the directory, the derby.log, etc.).

I realize the following output is a bit eclectic, but if anyone has any thoughts on the error I would love some help.

Thanks.

Result: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask
Output: Array
Output line: Logging initialized using configuration in file:/etc/hive/conf.dist/hive-log4j.properties
Output line: Hive history file=/tmp/apache/hive_job_log_apache_201211121323_696011741.txt
Output line: 2012-11-12 21:23:28.806 GMT Thread[main,5,main] java.io.FileNotFoundException: derby.log (Permission denied)
Output line: ----------------------------------------------------------------
Output line: 2012-11-12 21:23:29.075 GMT:
Output line: Booting Derby version The Apache Software Foundation - Apache Derby - 10.4.2.0 - (689064): instance a816c00e-013a-f681-6fa8-0000025818d8
Output line: on database directory /var/lib/hive/metastore/metastore_db in READ ONLY mode
Output line:
Output line: Database Class Loader started - derby.database.classpath=''
Output line: FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDOFatalDataStoreException: Cannot get a connection, pool error Could not create a validated object, cause: A read-only user or a user in a read-only database is not permitted to disable read-only mode on a connection.
Output line: NestedThrowables:
Output line: org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool error Could not create a validated object, cause: A read-only user or a user in a read-only database is not permitted to disable read-only mode on a connection.
Output line: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

"It's a fine line between meticulous and obsessive-compulsive and a slippery
rope between obsessive-compulsive and debilitatingly slow."
                                           --  Keith Wiley