HBase, mail # user - does hbase master need to be a hadoop datanode as well?

+
kaveh minooie 2013-02-22, 19:15
+
Mohammad Tariq 2013-02-22, 19:43
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-02-22, 19:49
+
Mohammad Tariq 2013-02-22, 19:51
+
anil gupta 2013-02-23, 07:24
Re: does hbase master need to be a hadoop datanode as well?
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-02-23, 22:38
"as long as machine is powerful"

That's the key ;)

If you run you standalone HBase in a virtual machine, it might not be
powerful enought and you might miss the heartbeats. Same if you run on a
computer without enought memory and it's starting to swap.

JM

2013/2/23 anil gupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Feb 22, 2013 11:50 AM, "Jean-Marc Spaggiari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just to add to Mohammad's advices, you should avoid to run ZK on the same
> > servers as you are running HBase.
> >
> > Reason is, if you are running in long GCs, ZK might miss the heartbeats
> and
> > thinks servers are down. So safer to run same separately if you can.
> >
> Zk and HM run in seperate JVM; so how would running them on the same
> machine will cause ZK missing hearbeats?
> As far as I know as long as machine is powerful enough to handle the load
> of ZK and HM, then it should be fine. One thing to note is that Zk will
> work well if you have dedicated disk for it.
> > JM
> >
> > 2013/2/22 Mohammad Tariq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > > Hello Kaven,
> > >
> > >       It's not all necessary to run HM on server running DN. Actually
> it's
> > > not advisable to do so, as HM has high memory requirements and running
> > > other daemons on the same machine may lead you to problems. The basic
> > > cluster setup, which people normally use looks somewhat like this :
> > >
> > >   NN+JT(Hadoop master)
> > >   SNN
> > >   HM(Hbase master)
> > >   DN+TT+RS