Hadoop >> mail # general >> [RESULT] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

Re: [RESULT] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Having just finished the 1.2.0 release, I have now taken the time to
carefully read this entire thread. (For a more enjoyable experience, I'm
practicing walking on hot coals next week :-)

I think something got lost in the argumentation:

First of all, what I understand is that
1. Arun is being asked to take his progression of 2.0.x-alpha releases to a
new 2.1.x (perhaps 2.1.x-beta?) line
2. Konst is being allowed to repurpose the 2.0.x line, starting with 2.0.5,
into a stabilization line for the subset of Hadoop-2 features already in
2.0.4-alpha.

[I say "allowed" because, while any committer can make a new branch and
propose releases from it, Konst has proposed to take over an existing
sequence of branches, for which a dedicated and long-term Release Manager
has previously proposed a well-understood sequence of releases; see
http://s.apache.org/BmM ]

Here's the thing that got lost, and I think we better clarify:

Additional features that everybody wants in Hadoop-2 still remain to be
added.  We KNOW these will result in non-backward-compatible API changes.
 So by trying to do a stability line of code now, we are terminating the
effort to achieve backward-compatibility in Hadoop-2 APIs.

Did this community really intend to vote for that?  Because that's what
we've now got.

--Matt