Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> zkpython improvements

Re: zkpython improvements
Hi Duncan -

Great that you're working on the python bindings! That's very cool.

Regarding your questions, answers inline.

On 28 March 2012 14:52, Duncan Findlay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been working on some improvements to the ZooKeeper python bindings
> and I was hoping (eventually) to submit them upstream for inclusion in
> ZooKeeper.
>
> Most of my work so far has been around making the synchronous API calls
> available through a pure-Python object-oriented interface instead of
> needing to keep track and pass zk client ids around everywhere, and
> cleaning up some of calling conventions. At this point I haven't
> implemented the asynchronous API, mostly because I don't use it, and I'm
> not sure what the best way to handle callbacks in a clean way.
> My work is available here:
> https://github.com/duncf/zkpython
>
> Before I open a JIRA ticket with a patch, I was hoping to get some
> consensus around the API and get some understanding around the following
> points:
>
> - How important is backwards compatibility for things like zkpython
> between versions?

Unfortunately I think it's quite important to maintain for the 3.x series
of ZK. That said, if there's a way we can keep both APIs around there's no
problem adding your improved API to the original one (as long as everyone
agrees it's the right direction for the API to go) - that'll help with the
transition. How feasible do you think that might be? I haven't read your
patch series yet, so I don't know how much of the guts has been rewritten,
but it looks as though zookeeper.c survived fairly intact so perhaps both
APIs can coexist.

> - Do we need support for asynchronous methods before considering changes
> for inclusion in ZooKeeper source? (Would anybody like to help?)

I think async support is required if this ever gets into a release and the
old API doesn't, otherwise that's a functionality regression I'd like to
avoid.

Henry

--
Henry Robinson