HBase >> mail # user >> Offline merge tool question

Offline merge tool question
I'm running cdh4.2 hbase 0.94.2, and am looking to merge some regions in a
table.  Looking at Merge.java, it seems to require that the entire cluster
be offline.  However, I also notice an HMerge.java which doesn't appear to
do the same validation.

Two questions:

1) Why does Merge.java validate the entire cluster is down, as opposed to
just the single table being disabled?

2) Could I write my own tool that uses HMerge, so as to merge regions in
the disabled table without bringing the whole cluster down?

I know there is also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7403, but
that doesn't appear to be incorporated into my version of HBase.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Bryan