Hive >> mail # user >> Hive Import/Export

Re: Hive Import/Export
wow. that's the craziest thing i've ever seen.

my approach to moving tables (partitioned or not) is:

1. run the ddl to create the table on the new cluster
2. distcp the hdfs data.
3. you might have to use "hdfs dfs -mv" on the new cluster to position your
table properly under /warehouse/db depending on your distcp command.
4. run "msck repair table <table>" in hive to discover the partitions and
populate the metastore accordingly.

works very well for me.

cheers,
Stephen.
PS  no need to "export" or "import" data.