Zookeeper, mail # user - auto-purge not purging

+
Ryan Fox 2013-10-30, 15:05
+
Patrick Hunt 2013-10-31, 17:18
+
Ryan Fox 2013-11-04, 15:46
Re: auto-purge not purging
Patrick Hunt 2013-11-04, 23:13
On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Ryan Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What version of ZooKeeper are you running? (solr 4.1.0 is pretty old,
>> 4.5.1 is out now, perhaps try upgrading?)
>>

> Zookeeper version is 3.4.5.  This is part of a large software package, so
> upgrading the solr library would be painful, but possible.

3.4.5 is fine, I just wasn't sure what version solr was using, if it
was old it might be related but I don't think that's the case here.

>> "do not get autopurged" - could you provide more insight. 1) are you
>> sure the configuration options are being applied? 2) what does the
>> datadir look like? (snaps/logs, perhaps do an "ls -la" and provide in
>> this thread) 3) anything autopurge related in the zk server logs?
>>

>  Sure, the datadir contains only logs and snapshots.  I would expect the
> autoPurge function to delete logs and snapshots older than the number I
> have set in zoo.cfg, but nothing gets deleted, and they just pile up,
> eating up my hard drive.
> 1) The zookeeper instance is picking up my settings for clientPort, so I
> assume I have the purge settings in the correct place as well.  The
> relevant section of zoo.cfg:
> autopurge.snapRetainCount=3
> autopurge.purgeInterval=1
>
> 2) ls -lah
> -rw-r--r--  1 ryanfox  staff    64M Oct 30 13:09 log.1
> -rw-r--r--  1 ryanfox  staff    64M Nov  4 09:36 log.48
> -rw-r--r--  1 ryanfox  staff    64M Nov  4 09:37 log.7b
> -rw-r--r--  1 ryanfox  staff   296B Oct 30 12:53 snapshot.0
> -rw-r--r--  1 ryanfox  staff    60K Nov  4 09:34 snapshot.47
> -rw-r--r--  1 ryanfox  staff    60K Nov  4 09:36 snapshot.7a

You have our snapRetainCount set to 3. That's why three snaps (and
their related logs) are saved.

Try setting it to 2.

> A new log and snapshot gets created every time I stop and start solr.  As
> an aside, every log file appears to be 64MB, no matter how much/little is
> in my index.  Is that correct?  Seems like a lot for an empty solr instance.

We pre-allocate the log files for performance. See "preAllocSize" here:
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.5/zookeeperAdmin.html

If you want smaller files try setting that to something like 10k or somesuch.

> 3) I haven't seen any smoking gun in the logs, but haven't specifically
> looked, either.  I'll let it go until it should have triggered the
> auto-purge and report back.

See if the above suggestions/info help.

Obviously don't carry over these changes to production. ;-)

Regards,

Patrick
+
Ryan Fox 2013-11-04, 23:26