MapReduce, mail # user - Performance of direct vs indirect shuffling

Re: Performance of direct vs indirect shuffling
Todd Lipcon 2011-12-21, 00:53
The advantages of the "pull" based shuffle is fault tolerance - if you
shuffle to the reducer and then the reducer dies, you have to rerun
*all* of the earlier maps in the "push" model.

The advantage of writing to disk is of course that you can have more
intermediate output than fits in RAM.

In practice, for short jobs, the output might stay entirely in buffer
cache and never actually hit disk (RHEL by default configures the
writeback period to 30 seconds when there isn't page cache pressure).

One possible optimization I hope to look into next year is to change
the map output code to push the data to the local TT, which would have
configurable in-memory buffers. Only once those overflow would they
flush to disk. Compared to just using buffer cache, this has the
advantage that it won't _ever_ writeback unless it has to for space
consumption reasons, and is more predictable to manage. My guess is we
could squeeze some performance here but not tons.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera