HBase >> mail # user >> Starting 0.96.0?

Hi,

when we start 0.96 using bin/start-hbase.sh the following code is executed

distMode=`$bin/hbase --config "$HBASE_CONF_DIR"
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.HBaseConfTool hbase.cluster.distributed | head
-n 1`
if [ "$distMode" == 'false' ]
then
  "$bin"/hbase-daemon.sh $commandToRun master $@
else
  "$bin"/hbase-daemons.sh --config "${HBASE_CONF_DIR}" $commandToRun
zookeeper
  "$bin"/hbase-daemon.sh --config "${HBASE_CONF_DIR}" $commandToRun master
  "$bin"/hbase-daemons.sh --config "${HBASE_CONF_DIR}" \
    --hosts "${HBASE_REGIONSERVERS}" $commandToRun regionserver
  "$bin"/hbase-daemons.sh --config "${HBASE_CONF_DIR}" \
    --hosts "${HBASE_BACKUP_MASTERS}" $commandToRun master-backup
fi
Why are we always starting the zookeeper server? It should not be started
if this property is set, right?

  <property>
    <name>hbase.cluster.distributed</name>
    <value>true</value>
    <description>The mode the cluster will be in. Possible values are
      false: standalone and pseudo-distributed setups with managed Zookeeper
      true: fully-distributed with unmanaged Zookeeper Quorum (see
hbase-env.sh)
    </description>
  </property>
I have commented it for my needs, but I'm wondering if it's normal or not
to have it.

I have a ZK server external to HBase.

JM