From: Mark Kerzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:19 PM
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
Subject: Re: mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum

1.0.1

What hadoop version are we talking about?

From: Mark Kerzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>>
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:16 PM
To: Hadoop User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>>
Subject: mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum

Hi,

I have a cluster with 4 nodes and 32 many cores on each. My default value for the maximum number of mappers per slot is 1:

  <property>
    <name>mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum</name>
    <!-- see other kb entry about this one. -->
    <value>1</value>
    <final>true</final>
  </property>
(which I think is wrong).

Howeve, when sizable jobs run, I see 65 mappers working, so it seems that it does create more than 1 mapper per node.

Questions: what maximum number of mappers would be appropriate in this situation? Is that the right way to set them?

Thank you. Sincerely,
Mark