MapReduce, mail # user - RE: a question on NameNode

RE: a question on NameNode
Kartashov, Andy 2012-11-19, 14:43
Awesome, thanks.

So, what if DN2 is down, i.e. it is not sending any blocks' report.  Then NN (I guess) will figure out that it has 2 blocks (3,4) that has no home and that (without replication) it has no way of reconstructing the file A.txt. It must spit the error then.

Thanks,
AK

From: Kai Voigt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 9:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: a question on NameNode

Hi,

Am 19.11.2012 um 15:27 schrieb "Kartashov, Andy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>:
I am learning that NN doesn't persistently store block locations. Only file names and heir permissions as well as file blocks. It is said that locations come from DataNodes when NN starts.

So, how does it work?

Say we only have one file A.txt in our HDFS that is split into 4 blocks 1,2,3,4 (no replication), with block 1-2 residing on DN1 and blocks 3,4 on DN2.

When we start NN it reads it metastore and tries to locate and map the locations of 4 blocks of file A.txt??

when a NameNode starts, it does that in safe mode. Like you said, it doesn't know where the blocks are. The DataNodes send a list of all of their local block IDs (so called block reports). Once the NameNode knows about the locations of most blocks (99,9%, configurable number), it will leave safe mode and HDFS is back.

Kai

--
Kai Voigt
NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential, subject to copyright and may be privileged. Any unauthorized use, copying or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete and contact the sender immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. AVIS : le pr?sent courriel et toute pi?ce jointe qui l'accompagne sont confidentiels, prot?g?s par le droit d'auteur et peuvent ?tre couverts par le secret professionnel. Toute utilisation, copie ou divulgation non autoris?e est interdite. Si vous n'?tes pas le destinataire pr?vu de ce courriel, supprimez-le et contactez imm?diatement l'exp?diteur. Veuillez penser ? l'environnement avant d'imprimer le pr?sent courriel