Chukwa >> mail # dev >> What constitute a successful project?

Re: What constitute a successful project?
Unless there are compelling reason to stop, i.e continuing breaches of
basic ASF polices and principles, then where possible letting a poddling
continue incubation or just graduate seems better to me than making them go
elsewhere. Its not like a small slow problem is chewing up ASF resources,
but i understand not everyone here agrees with my views on that. Wink is an
example of poddling in similar circumstances and there we are about to have
decided that graduation is better than retirement. Perhaps thats a better
approach. I don't recall a graduation recommendation request from the
Incubator has ever been rejected by the board so perhaps the Incubator is
too conservative with graduation recommendations.

Its interesting comparing Wink and Chukwa. From many perspectives Chukwa is
much more active than Wink but we're about to graduate Wink and talking
about retiring this one. I've not yet had a chance to go through all the
Chukwa archives but unless i'm misunderstanding something Chukwa isn't just
a lone coder, there have been several committers in the last months and
while one is doing the majority of the commits many of those are actually
applying patches from other people, so it looks like there are a bunch of
people out there working on the project and we need to find ways of better
integrating them into the poddling community.

   ...ant