HBase, mail # user - org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.Export fails with an NPE

Re: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.Export fails with an NPE
yuzhihong@... 2010-04-10, 17:11
I logged HADOOP-6695

Cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: George Stathis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:11:37
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.Export fails with an NPE

OK, the issue remains in our Ubuntu EC2 dev environment, so it's not just my
local setup. Here are some more observations based on some tests I just ran:

   - If the zookeeper JAR is omitted from HADOOP_CLASSPATH, then there are
   ClassNotFoundExceptions thrown as would be expected
   - If the zookeeper JAR is included in HADOOP_CLASSPATH,
   the ClassNotFoundExceptions go away, but then the original NPE
   re-appears: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableInputFormatBase$TableRecordReader.restart(TableInputFormatBase.java:110)
   - If the zookeeper JAR in physically included in $HADOOP_HOME/lib, then
   the NPE goes away as well

So, while it seems that the HADOOP_CLASSPATH is indeed being read, something
is missing during the MapRed process that keeps the htable from being
instantiated properly in TableInputFormatBase unless some JARs are
physically present in $HADOOP_HOME/lib. Note that this issue is not specific
to the zookeeper JAR either. We have enabled the transactional contrib
indexed tables and we have the same problem if we don't physically
include hbase-transactional-0.20.3.jar in the hadoop lib even though it's
included in HADOOP_CLASSPATH.

It feels like there is a discrepancy in the way classloading is done between
the various components. But I'm not sure whether this is even an HBase issue
and not a Hadoop one. Seems like this might be a JIRA ticket candidate. Any
thoughts on which project should look at this first?

-GS