Hadoop >> mail # dev >> About the HDFS_READ/WRITE blocks from namenode to datanode

Re: About the HDFS_READ/WRITE blocks from namenode to datanode
If you run any HDFS client operations on your NameNode box or if
another service running on the NameNode machine accesses HDFS, they
will register as a Read/Write client traces on the DataNodes. It isn't
the NameNode that reads the blocks usually.

--
Harsh J