Pig >> mail # dev >> Pig 0.10.1 to Pig 0.11.1 API compatibility break

+
Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren 2013-04-18, 09:23
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2013-04-19, 07:11
Re: Pig 0.10.1 to Pig 0.11.1 API compatibility break
Hi Gerrit,

Sorry to hear these changes caused you problems. The PPNL interface is
marked as Evolving, so it should be expected that future releases of that
interface will change (i.e. break). I'm open for ways to better communicate
these changes when they occur besides the current release notes process.

thanks,
Bill
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Dmitriy Ryaboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Gerrit, we do try to keep backwards incompatible changes to a minimum,
> but sometimes they are needed to make progress. How about we make a
> practice of tagging notifications about new pig release candidates with
> [RC] so you can set up your filters and get a heads up to try your software
> with the latest release candidate? That will at least let you prepare for
> changes before a release is made, or perhaps argue that we should revert
> something that is backwards incompatible.
>
> On Apr 18, 2013, at 2:23 AM, Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm the developer of http://gerritjvv.github.io/glue/ that uses the Pig
> API
> > directly to launch pig jobs in separate JVM instances.
> >
> > Recently I've updated to use pig-0.11.1 and found two API compatibility
> > breaks.
> >
> > PigServer.parseExecType does not exist anymore, (was a static method up
> > pig-0.10.1)
> >
> > New method for PigProgressNotificationListener
> >
> > public void initialPlanNotification(String scriptId, MROperPlan plan)
> >
> > It would be nice if you guys (when possible) could lookout for these kind
> > of breaks in the future.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gerrit

[EMAIL PROTECTED] going forward.*
+
Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren 2013-04-19, 09:36
+
Russell Jurney 2013-04-19, 07:52