MapReduce >> mail # dev >> [Vote] Merge branch-trunk-win to trunk

Thanks for raising good questions.

Currently the merge patch passes all the tests on Linux, hence
the proposal for merging the patch to trunk. But as Bobby, Harsh
and Eli pointed out, before declaring support for Windows, we need the
discussion on the following:

1. Precommit and development process
Jenkins infrastructure for Windows build will be made available.
Giri and Microsoft contributors have volunteered to help make
this happen.

With that we need to decide how our precommit process looks.
My inclination is to wait for +1 from precommit builds on
both the platforms to ensure no issues are introduced.
Thoughts?

2. Feature development impact
Some questions have been raised about would new features
need to be supported on both the platforms. Yes. I do not see a
reason why features cannot work on both the platforms, with
the exception of platform specific optimizations. This what Java
gives us.

3. Platform specific features/optimizations
As regards platform specific optimization, each platform can
evolve at its own pace and should not block progress of a
specific platform.

As indicated in my earlier email, there is a sizable number
of contributors to work on issues and support of Hadoop on Windows
platform. I am excited to see Hadoop reach the other large
part of server market.

Eli, as pointed out by you, the TODO items need to be addressed.
Also we realized we still need to add information on how to
build on Windows in BUILDING.txt. We will address this ASAP.
Giri and Matt have some expirience with this and should be able
to provide more information.

http://hortonworks.com/download/