HDFS >> mail # user >> RE: hadoop 1.0.3 equivalent of MultipleTextOutputFormat

RE: hadoop 1.0.3 equivalent of MultipleTextOutputFormat
Hi everyone,

Some of you might recall this topic, which I worked on with the list's help back in August last year - see email trail below. Despite initial success of the discovery, I had the shelve the approach as I ended up using a different solution (for reasons I forget!) with the implementation that was ultimately used for that particular project.

I'm now in a position to be working on a similar new task, where I've successfully implemented the combination of LazyOutputFormat and MultipleOutputs using hadoop 1.0.3 to write out to multiple custom output locations. However, I've hit another snag which I'm hoping you might help me work through.

I'm going to be running daily tasks to extract data from XML files (specifically, the data stored in certain nodes of the XML), stored on AWS S3 using object names with the following format:

s3://inputbucket/data/2013/1/13/<list of xml data files.bz2>

I want to extract items from the XML and write out as follows:

s3://outputbucket/path/<xml node name>/20130113/<output from MR job>

For one day of data, this works fine. I pass in s3://inputbucket/data and s3://outputbucket/path as input and output arguments, along with my run date (20130113) which gets manipulated and appended where appropriate to form the precise read and write locations, for example

FileInputFormat.setInputhPath(job, " s3://inputbucket/data");
FileOutputFormat.setOutputPath(job, "s3://outputbucket/path");

Then MultipleOutputs adds on my XML node names underneath s3://outputbucket/path automatically.

However, for the next day's run, the job gets to FileOutputFormat.setOutputPath and sees that the output path (s3://outputbucket/path) already exists, and throws a FileAlreadyExistsException from FileOutputFormat.checkOutputSpecs() - even though my ultimate subdirectory, to be constructed by MultipleOutputs does not already exist.

Is there any way around this? I'm given hope by this, from http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.3/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/FileAlreadyExistsException.html: "public class FileAlreadyExistsException extends IOException - Used when target file already exists for any operation *and is not configured to be overwritten*" (my emphasis). Is it possible to deconfigure the overwrite protection?

If not, I suppose one other way ahead is to create my own FileOutputFormat where the checkOutputSpecs() is a bit less fussy; another might be to write to a "temp" directory and programmatically move it to the desired output when the job completes successfully, although this is getting to feel a bit "hacky" to me.

Thanks for any feedback!

Tony